bito On November - 2 - 2009

computer scienceSenator McCain Hates this Site (and many others)!

Do you like this site?  Your own blog?   Other small independent sites? Forget about it, if Senator McCain and the “the corprotistas” have their way.  Has anyone even heard anything about this on the telly?  In the newspapers? The major radio programs?  Of course you haven’t , they have the bucks to pay-to play.

What I am preaching about is the bill Senator McCain is proposing to end “net neutrality”.

This little lovely that Mr. McGrumpy is trying to land in everyone’s laps will be the one of the stifling contractions since the advent of the “internets” and WWW has ever seen. Kquark just posted an article about science, imagine how much progress in science and health would have halted or been stymied had this this bill been effect at the inception of the internet.

If you care not, that you will be able to “click” on HuffPo and get it on screen within seconds and this site (and many others) will take 2-5 minutes to appear then don’t bother with this post. If you do care, contact your senator. This should not be able to even have a hearing let alone be able to get out of the committee.

(For you edification, please read this given link and their links, their presentation is worth reading)

Categories: Featured, News & Politics

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1. bitohistory says:

Something else to read on my pet project from Raw Story:

I also rechecked McCain’s web site again today. Odd, he still doesn’t have any brags on his new bill. Is it dead or does he think he might be able to slip this through?

• KQuark says:

I hope it’s dead. Thanks for getting me engaged on this issue. I’ve been putting it on the back burner for too long. I’m a huge advocate of internet independence. It’s already corporatized enough and we need to stop terrible changes like McCain’s bill.

• javaz says:

I don’t know what to think about this bill, and my guess is neither does McCain.

2. javaz says:

Thanks for this article.
    I have not read much on this topic, but will do so today.

3. bitohistory says:

Philies WIN!!!

Have you seen the ads that are running in opposition to net neutrality? They are disgusting. The argument is framed in terms like: “Do you want a government takeover of the internet? That’s what the government is trying to do. When they talk about ‘net neutrality,’ they’re talking about the government seizing control of YOUR internet access!”

Once again, the alarmist, fear-mongering tactic that gets the ill-informed to vote for the interests of wealthy, powerful corporation over and above their own!

5. KQuark says:

I read about this the other day. I think the bill has a bad name. It should be called net freedom or something like that. It actually opens the net more and does not make legislates what content is on the net.

• bitohistory says:

Quiz me this? How can one “open the net more”? I realize it does not restrict content but the bill will make choke points unless one can afford to pay the fees on the major and few suppliers on on to the connection. Perhaps I do not under stand your point.

6. bitohistory says:

Why is McCain taking such an interest? He is ranking member of the “telecom” committee. he was chairman for years and that industry is one of his major contributors. The list includes many of the corporate welfare kings in that group” Comcast, Time=Warner, Verizon,AT%T, etc….. Bread and butter!!

• bitohistory says:

I need to make a correction. McCain is no longer on the committee of jurisdiction. Wanna bet he is still raking in the contributions from the telecoms?

7. escribacat says:

Grrr. This is so typical. The people on the right never fail in their efforts to take a good thing and make it better for those with money and power and worse for those without. The end result of this favoritism will be a whole lot of unbearably slow sites that go kaput and a very few fast and slick sites owned by a few titans like Murdoch — and dare I say it — HuffMama the Phony. I have to wonder why McCain is taking such an interest — or who paid him to.